Click on the question below to view the answer.
Do I need to enroll each of my children separately?
No. When you purchase Experience Astronomy: Elementary you may use the course with all the children in your immediate family.
How long do I have access to the course?
Forever. There is no time limit for using the course. Use it all this year, or part this year and part next year, or 5 years from now. It’s up to you!
What ages or grades is this course appropriate for?
The class is geared towards kids 8-12 years of age, but younger students may also enjoy the course. For older students, we recommend our Upper Level Experience Astronomy program.
As the parent, you are the best person to determine if this class is appropriate for your student. Click on “Preview” above to get a taste for the course.
What are the differences between the elementary course and the upper level courses?
The elementary-level course is designed for students in the elementary grades.
• Video lessons are shorter than the upper-level videos and taught using simpler language for younger viewers.
• The concepts taught in the elementary course are more basic, whereas the upper level courses include the basic concepts and go much deeper.
• Activities in the elementary course include more hands-on creative projects whereas the upper levels have weekly outdoor observation activities (often in the late evening or early morning) which are more appropriate for those looking for an observational/lab science.
• Reading assignments for the elementary course are living books that can be used as read-alouds or assigned as independent reading, geared towards students ages 6-11. The recommended reading for the upper-level is a textbook geared more towards teens.
• Supplemental activities for the elementary course include things like copywork and memory cards, more suitable for elementary level students.
Can I take this course if I live outside the United States?
You can take the elementary level course anywhere in the world! We’ve made sure to make the lessons applicable to everyone—northern or southern hemisphere. We’re excited to welcome our friends in other countries to join us as we study the stars.
Is this course just for homeschoolers?Absolutely not! While it certainly is a great course for homeschoolers, this course is great for any student who wants to learn more about astronomy whether they’re homeschooled, public schooled, or private schooled. You have the flexibility to complete the course whenever you’d like!
What additional books or supplies will I need for this class?
We’ll provide you with a reading list of living books you can purchase or borrow from your local library. You’ll also have an activity you can complete with each lesson, but we’ve tried to ensure these activities use supplies that are typically found around the house or those that are easily accessible. Please note: The books and activities are completely optional. The program is completely customizable and you can do as much or as little as you like!
Do you teach about creation/evolution in this class?While this class touches on the reasons why God created the stars, it does not get into concepts about the age of the universe or scientific theories about the beginning of the universe. The course does not touch on how to interpret the days of creation in Genesis 1. The focus of the class is to discover the motions of the heavens, not the creation or history of the heavens.
Does my child have to watch this course on specific days of the week?Nope! Everything is recorded and will be available for you to watch on your time schedule.
After enrolling, when will I get access to course materials?We’re working hard to make this course amazing for you! This is our first year offering the Elementary course, so by the first week of September the first 6 weeks of course material will be available in your online portal with more lessons being added each month.